As the new Google Shopping
approaches, retailers (at a minimum) will need to create a new Google AdWords component to ensure their products continue listing. The steps below detail this process. Please keep in mind that retailers looking for a more robust solution should consider signing up for VersaFeed's Google Shopping Manager (GSM)
Note (A): the instructions below assume that your Google Merchant Center account is active and receiving up-to-date product feeds (VersaFeed clients already have this configured properly).
Note (B): the instructions below assume that your Google Merchant Center login (email) is the same as Google AdWords. If they are NOT the same, you will need to login to Google Merchant Center and click "Settings" then "AdWords". You will then need to enter your AdWords Customer ID. Your AdWords Customer ID can be found by logging into your AdWords account and looking on the top right of any page.
Steps to create a simple AdWords campaign that will enable retailers to list in Google Shopping:
Verify you have a working credit card associated with the account. Login to your AdWords account and click "Billing" then "Billing Preferences". You should have a current credit card on file, if you do not, enter one. You can also see additional info by clicking "Billing" then "Billing Summary". If there are any billing issues noted by Google, resolve them.
Create a new campaign. Inside AdWords, click the "Campaigns" tab at the top, then in the middle of the screen click the "New Campaign" button and select "Search Network only".
- Campaign name: Enter whatever you feel is appropriate (e.g., "Google Shopping" or similar).
- Type: Select the "Product listing ads" radio button on the right side.
- Locations: Select the countries that you wish to advertise in.
- Budget: Enter the daily budget that you're willing to spend on your new Google Shopping campaign.
- Default bid: Enter the amount that you're willing to pay for clicks. There are no set rules here, but VersaFeed recommends bidding between $0.10 and $0.50 per click if you're creating a simple "one size fits all" campaign. If you struggle here, you may find VersaFeed's GSM product a better route to manage your campaign.
- Ad Extensions: This should have a checkbox selected titled "Extend my ads with relevant product details from Google Merchant Center". The account that is selected directly below this should correlate to your Google Merchant Center account. If you are using different accounts for Google Merchant Center and AdWords, please ensure you select the appropriate/active Google Merchant Center account (see note "B" above).
- Click "Save and continue"
Create a new AdGroup. You should now be on a step titled "Create ad group" with a text box titled "Ad group name" as the first question.
- Ad group name: Enter whatever you feel is appropriate (e.g., "Google Shopping AdGroup" or similar).
- Promotion: This text will be displayed alongside your products in Google Shopping. It is optional, although if your company distinguishes itself in a unique fashion, you should enter something. Examples:
- "Free Shipping On Orders $100 Or More"
- "Same Day Shipping"
- "Huge Selection of XYZ" (change XYZ to represent your particular market)
- "Summer Sale Now!" (note if you enter a seasonal promotion, you will need to modify your promotion from time to time)
- Auto targets / Product targets: The "All products" checkbox should be selected
- Default bid: This should be set to your previous default bid from the campaign (leave as is).
- Click "Save ad group"
That's it, you've successfully created the required AdWords components to list in Google Shopping.
It is highly advisable to monitor your new campaign via the methods below:
After 24-48 hours, log back in to AdWords and verify that the campaign is indeed getting impressions and clicks.
Create a Google Analytics account that has Ecommerce (i.e., revenue or sales) tracking enabled. Utilize Analytics to track your overall AdWords spend, and compare that to the overall AdWords revenue. Verify you're making money! If you're not, or you want to increase ROI, consider utilizing more advanced bidding techniques via VersaFeed's GSM product
If you are interested in taking advantage of GSM, contact VersaFeed today. Talk with one of our sales engineers who will help determine if GSM is a good fit for your company.